Funding Options and Charities


Funding Options and Charities

Many service and ex-service organisations offer financial assistance to serving and ex-serving personnel and members of their families to support a course of study or training.  This may include assistance with the added costs and expenses associated with studying.

The list of organisations below have been used by some of our students, however the list is not exhaustive so please contact us if you can obtain funding through another organisation.

Professional and Career Development Loans

Professional and Career Development Loans are commercial bank loans that can be used to help pay for work related learning.

You can borrow between £300 and £10,000 to help support the cost of up to two years of learning (or three years if it includes one year’s relevant unpaid practical work). The Government will pay the interest on the loan while you are learning and for one month afterwards. You will then need to start repaying the loan as you would any other commercial loans product.

The loan can be used to pay course fees or other costs such as travel and living expenses. You can also use the loan to supplement other forms of support such as grants or bursaries.

As the Professional and Career Development Loan is a commercial loan product, you should make sure you have investigated all the funding options that may be open to you to ensure you take an informed decision about whether the Loan is right for you. For further information on financial assistance to support your learning, click here

or contact Next Step on 0800 100 900.

Our learning provider registration number is: *We are currently re-registering with Professional and Career Development Loans. Our new learning provider registration number will appear here when available. 


Redundancy Action Scheme II (REACT II)

Welsh Assembly Government

The Redundancy Action Scheme II (REACT II) is a programme of funding for training provided by the Welsh Assembly Government for people who are living in Wales facing redundancy.

The scheme can also help employers who are downsizing their business or are recruiting staff.

Support under the ReAct Scheme II is available for individuals who:

  • have become unemployed in the last six months as a result of redundancy, are currently unemployed, and who have not been in continuous employment for 6 weeks or more since being made redundant; or
  • are currently under notice of redundancy; and
  • have not undertaken any publicly funded training since being made redundant, including the work-based learning suite of programmes.

Click here for more information about ReAct II


Army Benevolent Fund

ABF The Soldier's Charity is a British charity that provides financial, and practical support to soldiers, former soldiers and their families in times of need.

Just one of the areas that they help is through education bursaries - to help soldiers train and gain skills to achieve employment once they leave the Army.

For more information in how they can help click here.


Civvy Street

The Royal British Legion's Employment Support Grant Scheme is a Legion welfare scheme funded by the annual poppy appeal. It is specifically designed to help low skilled and unemployed Legion beneficiaries with assistance to achieve a sustainable employment outcome or to assist those with one or more barriers to employment in the Civvy Street labour market.

Click here for more information